Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Voice of the People Action?
Voice of the People Action is a non-partisan organization dedicated to giving ‘We the People’ a greater and more effective voice in government.
It urges congressional candidates to make the Listen to the People Pledge, which allows congressional candidates to demonstrate their commitment to serve and listen to all the people of their district, not only elites and those that voted for them.
Does VOPA endorse candidates?
No, we invite all congressional campaigns to make the Listen to the People Pledge.
How is Voice of the People Action related to Voice of the People?
Our sister organization, Voice of the People is a nonpartisan tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization that works to re-anchor our democracy in its founding principles by giving ‘We the People’ a greater and more effective voice in government. It hosts and promotes public consultations around the country.
So, how can our representatives listen to the people as a whole?
1. Engage with public consultations conducted by universities or nonpartisan civic organizations:
- Get briefed on public consultations conducted with representative samples of your constituents.
- Participate in public consultation forums conducted with their constituents.
2. Conduct your own outreach:
- Make concerted efforts to elicit the views of as many constituents as possible – especially through citizen engagement tools that provide accurate and balanced issue briefings and enable constituents to register their views with your office.
3. Consider public opinion surveys:
- Pay attention to survey findings on federal policy proposals conducted with representative samples of your constituents by credible survey researchers.
How can I get involved?
First Step: Sign up for our email list!
Second Step: If you are interested in making Congress more responsive to the voice of the people, reach out to our Director, JP Thomas, at email@example.com to help us connect with your local campaigns. You can be part of the movement to bring the people into the policymaking process by partnering with us to get your local congressional candidates to make the Listen to the People Pledge.